In case you missed it see what’s in this section
Your Total Guide To eating and drinking
Recipe: Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
Refreshing recipe for a vegan lemon drizzle cake to enjoy with a nice cup of tea whilst sitting in the garden.
- 13cm x 23cm (5" x 9") loaf pan
- 250g/ 8 3/4 oz/ 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 170g/ 6 oz/ 3/4 cup + 3 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agarve syrup
- 70ml/ 2 1/2 fl oz/ 1/3 cup organic rapeseed oil
- 250ml/ 8 1/2 fl oz/ 1 cup soya milk (or almond milk)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshley squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- For the drizzle:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp unrefined granulated sugar
- Lightly oil the loaf tin and line the bottom with non stick baking paper (or use a loaf tin liner). Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas 4.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix through.
- In a serparate bowl, whisk together the sugar, syrup, oil, milk, vinegar, lemon juice. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until thoroughly combined (but do not stir).
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin. Place on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the juice of one freshly squeezed lemon in a small bowl with the granulated sugar. Stir in to combine.
- When the cake is baked, remove from oven and pierce all over with a toothpick. Spoon the lemon drizzle evenly over the top of the cake. Allow to cool for 1/2 hour or so before transferring to a wire rack. Leave to cool completely before storing.
- The cake will last 3 days in an airtight container. It also freezes well/ If you wish, you can slice the cake into single sized portions prior to freezing.
Note: If you use a round cake tin, I suggest testing after 30 minutes with a tooth pick to see if it's cooked through.
Weather in Bristol